The Rhodes Scholarship is one of the oldest and most celebrated international scholarship programs, enabling outstanding students worldwide to pursue postgraduate study at the University of Oxford. Every year, over a hundred Rhodes Scholars are selected from 20 designated regions around the globe.
As an international student, you would apply through the region you hold citizenship in. If you want to study at one of the world’s top universities, learn from leading experts in your field, and join a lifelong community of global leaders and change-makers, the Rhodes Scholarship should be at the top of your list.
The application process is competitive but with the proper preparation and a compelling application, you have a shot at becoming a Rhodes Scholar. If you are looking to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship, here is an overview of what the scholarship covers, the eligibility requirements, and the application process to get you started.
The Rhodes Scholarship Awards
There are several benefits to winning the Rhodes Scholarship. Successful Rhodes Scholarship recipients receive;
- Full funding to cover expenses for postgraduate studies at the University of Oxford. The scholarship covers tuition fees, an annual stipend for living expenses, and a round-trip airfare. the annual stipend is £18,180 for the 2022/2023 academic year which can comfortably take care of all living expenses, including accommodation.
- A settling-in allowance at the University of Oxford.
- Student visa fees and the International Health surcharge to allow them to access medical health services in the UK.
- Visa renewal and International Health surcharge fees if transitioning to another course of study at the University of Oxford.
The initial scholarship tenure is two years, but scholars can extend the scholarship period for one year to complete a Doctor in Philosophy degree. The scholarship tenure document details the eligible degrees and the period covered by the scholarship depending on the program of study.
Apart from the obvious financial benefits, scholars get to study in one of the world’s most prestigious universities. This is a life-changing opportunity any student would be glad to get. The University of Oxford is ranked 1st in the United Kingdom and 5th in the best global universities rankings by the US News and World Report. A degree from the University of Oxford can open up vast opportunities and set you up for success.
Rhodes Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
Before you embark on applying for the Rhodes Scholarship, there are a few eligibility criteria you’ll need to meet. While the scholarship requirements vary with the country, the general selection criteria are as follows;
- You need to be of high academic excellence and have completed an undergraduate degree with First Class Honours to be considered for the scholarship.
- Be passionate and able to display a specific talent like art, sports, music, etc. Participation in sports, clubs, volunteering, student government, and community service will strengthen your application.
- Be 18-23 years as of October 2023. Some exceptions are made for students whose bachelor’s degree was interrupted or delayed but must be under 27 years old.
- You should demonstrate integrity of character, interest in others, leadership abilities, and physical vigor.
- You must have sufficient English language skills that meet the English Language Proficiency requirements at the University of Oxford.
In summary, if you meet the basic requirements, have a stellar academic record, and show strong character and leadership qualities, you have a solid chance of being selected for this prestigious scholarship as an international student.
The scholarship eligibility checker tool can help you to check for country-specific requirements and see if you are eligible to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship.
How to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship
To even be considered for the prestigious Rhodes Scholarship as an international student, you’ll have to make it through a rigorous application and selection process.
While the application deadline varies per country, the general period for all applicants runs from July to October. If you meet the criteria, ensure you select your program of interest that is eligible for the scholarship and start the online application. This includes submitting a personal statement, academic statement, reference letters, and proof of social engagement.
The selection process starts with pre-selection interviews to narrow down candidates in various countries or regions. If selected to advance, you’ll go through additional assessments like panel interviews which could include video interviews. The interviewers will evaluate how you think and express yourself, looking for confidence, eloquence, and depth of knowledge.
Finally, the Rhodes Trustees will review all finalist applications and select around 103 scholars worldwide who meet all the requirements outlined above. Becoming a Rhodes Scholar opens you up to the opportunity to study at the University of Oxford with all expenses covered for 2-3 years depending on your program of study.
While the application process might seem challenging, the reward of joining the Rhodes community and accessing Oxford’s world-class education can be life-changing. You can seek out a mentor or advisor who knows you well and is familiar with the Rhodes Scholarship to help guide you through the application process. They can review your materials, conduct a practice interview, and provide valuable advice and support.
There you have it, an amazing opportunity to study at one of the world’s top universities through the Rhodes Scholarship Program. While the competition is intense, don’t let that discourage you. If you have a proven track record of academic excellence, outstanding character, and a desire to make a difference in the world, you have as good a chance as anyone. Think of how much you would gain – an unparalleled education, lifelong connections, and the chance to be part of a global network of leaders and change-makers.
We hope that this article on Rhodes Scholarships for international students was helpful. Make sure to also check out the Available Programs in the UK!